Thursday 13 December 2018

The Bridgford Classico


Bridgford United  1  AFC Bridgford  2

Nottinghamshire Senior League – First Division

It had a certain inevitability about it.

History tells me that season after season, someone, somewhere, on my big list of leagues that I follow, is going to up sticks mid-campaign and move to a new venue.

The list this season of new venues was thirty strong at the start, and a fortnight ago I was down to just one, Thringstone, in Leicestershire. With the mission almost complete I’d got my sights set on working down some of the longer distance Step 1-4 venues, with December and January almost planned out.


But then, the oracle of all things Nottinghamshire, Rob Hornby, announced via his Twitter feed that Bridgford United had indeed emptied the removal van and were putting up new curtains. Somewhere called Highfield Park, just off University Boulevard, it rang no bells whatsoever with me, and my immediate thoughts were that it was uncharted territory.

Google Maps did indeed confirm it, the large sports complex which also combined the esteemed Beeston Hockey Club, Nottingham Tennis Centre and the University Sports Grounds, had never even been sniffed at in the past, it meant scheduling in a visit.

As luck would have it, the Bridgford ‘el-classico’ was on the horizon, the following weekend it appeared, with Bridgford United taking on neighbours AFC Bridgford. Only AFC play in Bridgford by the way, with AFC playing at the Gresham Playing Fields and United having previously been down on Lenton Lane along with everyone else.


I’ll be honest, when I look on Google at a new venue, the first thing I do, without fail, is look for a watering hole, ideally within walking distance, so I can dump the car and have a little wander, but despite the built up nature of an area just to the West edge of the City Centre, I could see no boozers. But, a little marker sat right in the middle of the map, pointing to a building next to the football pitches, and it simply said ‘Stick & Pitcher’, which upon further inspection did appear to be an establishment of imbibement, more later on that.

I’ve had dialogue with Bridgford United before, via Facebook, and they’ve always been prompt and helpful. This was precisely the case this time round again, with Ash Nehra, the Secretary, being quick to respond to messages about the venue and the pitch conditions. Despite it wanging it down with rain overnight, Ash confirmed all was good on the pitch front, it was time to head down Brian Clough Way.


I’m not overly familiar with the student areas of Nottingham, so it was a venture into the unknown as I made my way down University Boulevard. A large park sits on the left, then just over the tram tracks is the entrance to Highfield Park. It is indeed a large complex, with numerous sports pitches to the West end of it, while the Hockey and Tennis facilities are further East.

With players from both clubs milling about, I made my way to the building that I thought might be a pub, and it turned out it wasn’t, it was merely a changing block. Undeterred, more signs of life seemed to be in the vicinity of the hockey club, and it was as I made my way in the general direction that I spotted a building that could easily be what I was looking for. My senses were correct, on the top floor of the Hockey pavilion was indeed the Stick and Pitcher.  A lovely little boozer catering for the Hockey lads and lasses, it was just the job, and it was while perusing social media over a pint that I discovered the esteemed Mr Hornby was in fact en route to the game himself.


With the countdown clock on ten minutes, a wander in the general direction of the football pitches saw me find Mr Hornby chatting to the officials from AFC, and what a great bunch of lads they were. The last time I met Rob was at Helston in Cornwall, it banged it down with rain that time, and the skies up above were suggesting it may well be the case today.

Playing on a pitch with a rope down one side, although a fully railed pitch sits alongside it, and that is used by the University BUCS side, we were treated to a very decent game of football.

Bridgford United were flying high while AFC were of the mid-table variety, albeit with some good results over recent weeks.

Kyle Pemberton gave United the lead in the fourteenth minute when an AFC corner was defended and the hosts broke quickly. The lead didn’t last long though and when AFC beat the offside trap it was left to Sam Gaskin to calmly slot the ball home.


United piled on the pressure in the second half and as the rains started to come it was the visitors who took the lead having created the better of the chances on the day, when James Musk netted at the far post. After this it was like the Alamo as United threw everything at AFC, but the equaliser simply wouldn’t arrive.

The final whistle was welcome, by now the rain was incessant and with the wind whipping up it was starting to soak through my jeans and into my undercrackers, I was just glad it was Nottingham and not somewhere more distant. Driving in moist pants is not an ideal scenario, I’ll tell you!

So, a jolly day down the Boulevard, good company, friendly locals and indeed a good game. With the added bonus of a boozer as well, the Bostik League will have to wait a little while longer.

2 comments:

  1. Good post! We enjoyed having you there.. although a couple of things aren’t completely accurate.. firstly we do play in West Bridgford (Gresham is in West Bridgford) and secondly, I thought we had by far the better chances in the game ��

    Anyway, hopefully you will come to watch more of our games!

    Barry (AFC Bridgford)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barry - enjoyed the day, was it yourself I spoke to? Anyway, couple of slight tweaks made to blog based on your feedback ;-)

      No doubt catch up gain. Cheers Neil

      Delete