Saturday 6 August 2022

Perks Of The Job

Newcastle Benfield  2  Pickering Town  1

Northern League – First Division

I genuinely thought after the ‘majestic’ job I did of looking after three of our North East offices, and the subsequent removal of said offices from my watch, regular trips to that part of the World were well and truly over.

Geographical reasons apparently the gaffer told me, it made no sense for someone based in Derbyshire to be looking after branches in that part of the Country. Clearly, it had nothing to do with my disparaging remarks and observations of a certain town on Teesside, nor my apparent lack of desire to go to Whitby on the basis that “it’s a pain in the arse to get to and I couldn’t find any football to fit in with it”.

Relieved of my duties I was, but then our new owners have come up with a concept whereby we effectively have a territory roadshow once a quarter whereby those in my role have to travel to a location and present their results and plans to peers and people on a higher pay grade. The Q2 review was to take place in Gosforth, a suburb of Newcastle Upon Tyne. That dear readers, was to involve an overnight stay, which also happened to coincide with the opening midweek fixtures in the Northern League…..


The hierarchy were staying at some venue in the city centre and going out for a collective nibbles and drinkies by the river. I was duly invited to attend what promised to be a rip roaring evening of prosecco and tapas, but then I considered the alternatives.

The Best Western in Jesmond was perfect, only a few minutes walk from the student themed restaurants and bars, and, very close to the West Jesmond Metro station, which was going to be vitally important to my evening plans. I have to say, after having a few issues getting onto the Tyne Bridge thanks to road closures, and then weaving over various lanes to get in the correct position for the turn I needed, once you get into Jesmond you can’t help but be impressed as to just how nice an area it is. For one night only, I suspected I was going to be mostly quite happy.

Suitably fed, watered, and doubling the average age of the customer base in the venues I patronised, it was time for a little trip out, a trip just East of the city centre, to an area called Walkergate.


The Newcastle Metro is a bit like the London Underground, except it’s in Newcastle, it’s considerably smaller and has less lines, while the majority of it isn’t actually underground. That said, the concept is still the same, and in a busy city it’s the easiest way to get around. Southbound, change at Monument (they’ve got one of those in London) and then get on the North Shields bound wagon, which goes via Byker (Grove) and into the final destination of Walkergate.

A short ten minute walk up the road and on your left is the home of Newcastle Benfield Football Club, who, were playing North Yorkshire side Pickering Town, who themselves are new entrants to the Northern League this season.

Right, this is a bit of a confusing story, and I’m reliant on Football Club History Database for the info so if I’m wrong, don’t shoot….

In 1988 a club called Brunswick Village joined the Northern Alliance but then a year later they changed their name to Heaton Corner House. Then in 1991 the club changed it’s named to Newcastle Benfield Park, however, they merged with North Shields St Columbas in 2000 and the name changed again, this time to Newcastle Benfield Saints.

By now, the loyal fans, were not only confused, they were getting fed up of having to buy new scarves and pin badges, and that was further exacerbated in 2005 when they decided to adopt the name of a sponsor and become Newcastle Benfield (Bay Plastics), oh, and by now they were competing in the Northern League, and for that matter, doing pretty well!

Bay Plastics was dropped in 2007 and they then became, as they remain, plain old and simple Newcastle Benfield. They won the Northern League in 2008-09, and since then they’ve always remained in the top flight.

The club play at Sam Smith’s Park, and I have to say it’s a very tidy venue, and if like many of their former Northern League pals, they decide to have a go for promotion, then I don’t see any issues in terms of the facilities. You enter behind the goal, in the South West corner, and immediately to your left is the clubhouse and the tea bar area. Moving round in a clockwise direction is an area of cover that appears to have been turned into an al-fresco gymnasium, while next to it on the half way line is a seated stand.


It's remains open at the West end of the ground while on the South side is a further seated stand and another area of cover that has also had a slight conversion to it, in this instance a boxing gym!

There also appears to be a kind of nightclub on the corner of the ground, but it wasn’t open so I couldn’t partake in any moves or disco biscuits, instead sticking to draught Madri from the clubhouse which served in a plastic pot made for an excellent touchline companion.

A crowd of 175 rocked up to see an entertaining game. Pickering took an eighth minute lead through Bobby Rye only for Eddie Thomas to equalise within a matter of a few minutes. Pickering were then awarded a penalty ten minutes into the second period (albeit somewhat dubious I thought) only for the hosts Andrew Grainger to save the kick. Benfield then went straight up the other end and Cameron Gascoigne found the net with a composed finish. On the balance of play it was probably the right result, but Pickering certainly put up a good fight.


And that was it, a quick trot back down Benfield Road and back on the city bound train, with base camp being arrived at around 10.20pm. Jesmond was still looking pretty lively, but I needed rest before a day of presenting.

The presentation went fine, and when it came to questions, I was immediately on the back foot with the first one that came my way, bearing in mind my alternative choice of evening entertainment had become widely publicised…..

“So, talk to us about this obsession for non-league football, then?”

I had to think quickly, I looked the questioner in the eye and replied in the best way I could

“Do you really want me to start to go down that route?”

The conversation moved quickly back to business….

No comments:

Post a Comment