Wednesday 9 September 2020

Senior Service

Netherfield Seniors   1   AC United   2

Friendly

With just the one more friendly to go before the serious stuff begins, I opted to stay relatively close to home for the first Saturday in September, with a choice of two games on the other side of the M1.

As I’ve commented on more than once recently, the Notts Senior League has suddenly turned into a monster of a competition with five divisions under it’s wing, and from the point of view of options, I could have gone for a 3pm kick off at Phoenix Inham, or a 2pm kick off at Netherfield Seniors.


I opted for the earlier one, purely on the basis it was earlier, and it would mean Casa Hatt should be returned to at a more convenient hour. A cursory text to the club came back with an affirmative in terms of the game, so it was off to the Richard Herrod Leisure Centre in downtown Carlton, on the East side of Nottingham.

It’s not very often I venture to the East side of Nottingham, and after a 22 mile journey took well over an hour, I was reminded of just why I avoid the area! All was going well until the sat-nav took me a detour through Old Basford, and as a result I spent the best part of twenty minutes queueing to get onto Western Boulevard. Thereafter it was left turn, right turn, speed bumps, stop, start, so on and so forth!


I should have arrived at 1pm, I finally arrived just after half past, I felt almost as relieved as I did the time I went to Lowestoft Town and needed three changes of clothes on the journey.

The first thing that struck me as I got to within striking distance of the ground was the undulating nature of the landscape. I’ve never really considered Nottingham as a particular hilly area before, but crikey, nipping out for an evening stroll would involve hiking boots in Carlton!


The Richard Herrord Leisure Centre is run by Gedling Borough Council, and the first thing to strike you is the spacious nature of the car par as you turn off Foxhill Road. I guess though, establishments of this nature are not fully open as yet so it’s unlikely you are going to have to be fighting for spaces amongst the swimmers, gym bunnies and aerobics animals.

While the large leisure centre sits to the right of the car park, the sports pitches and indeed the single story building that houses Netherfield Boys & Girls Club sit to the left. To access the sports pitches you climb up a slope and there is the football field, sat on a plateau. Two sides of the pitch are flanked by grass banking, while to the top of the banking are what appear to be floodlit all weather football pitches. I’m not sure if they are connected to the leisure centre or not, but they were in use throughout the afternoon.


The area is also clearly a public space, with plenty of dog walking going on, some of whom (the owners, not the dogs) hung around to catch some of the action on the pitch.

The game itself pitched a Foundation Division side against a First Division side, so a two division gap in standard. I must admit to be being a tad confused about AC United, the name is a new one for the NSL, and quite why they’ve been parachuted into the second tier I’m not sure, unless of course they are an existing team who’ve re-branded. So much has happened in the NSL recently it’s hard to keep track.  


Having perched on top of the grass bank alongside the ground, with views across the wider Carlton vista, the sun was shining and all was good in the World, but to be brutally honest, despite the endeavour of both sides, the first half was a largely forgettable spectacle.

The second half was a much improved affair though, with the hosts taking the lead through a clear penalty. This seemed to irritate the visitors, who’s touchline contingent were getting somewhat prickly, and engaging in some sledging with the home goalkeeper.

The response was swift, an equaliser soon followed and then late in the game came the winner which was followed by wild celebrations akin to winning a World Cup Final in the last minute. I’d hate to think how AC would celebrate if they won a World Cup Final in the last minute!


So, the serious stuff comes next, the wonderful World of competitive football, but why do I have this horrible feeling it’s not going to be quite so straight forward?

In the meantime, as the old adage goes, take it one game at a time, don’t think too far ahead, enjoy it while you can, and most importantly of all, don’t forget to take your Notts Senior League Handbook out with you. Only I think I’m going to be needing it, almost as much as I’m going to need a facemask!

No comments:

Post a Comment