Sunday 22 September 2019

R1R


Route One Rovers  2  Calverley United  1

Yorkshire Amateur League – Supreme Division

I wasn’t a happy bunny, along with a good number of the Calverley United contingent.

You see, clearly marked car park spaces are for parking cars in, the bits surrounding them that don’t have marked spaces, are not for parking cars. Problem is, whoever had come to watch a game at Dixons Allerton Academy which finished half an hour after the game we were at, didn’t seem to understand that concept.

Consequently a good number of us were sat in the car park for a good half an hour after today’s game finished, until those ever so considerate chaps decided to amble back to their cars and let us out.

More on that later, but lets focus on the positives of a trip to Route One Rovers, that wasn’t on the radar until a couple of weeks when I found out that they’d moved grounds.


R1R (as they will from hereon in be known), first popped up a few seasons back competing in the West Riding County Amateur League. I never saw them play because they were based at Esholt Sports Grounds, a venue I’d been to previously to watch Bradford FC in action. 

Just a few hundred yards away from the ground is the famous Woolpack Inn where Emmerdale Farm is filmed, I did have a pint, I didn’t see Amos or Mr Wilkes though, just annoying families with screeching kids. Oh I would have loved to have had access to a cattle prod, had Matt Skilbeck been around to lend me one……

R1R appeared back on the radar a couple of years ago when they applied for Step 6 status, and the word on the street was that they were looking to move to the West Riding County FA Ground in Woodlesford. I went to watch a cup final at Woodlesford to preempt it, and a very nice venue it is, but the move and the promotion simply didn’t materialise.


Anyroadup, as they say in Yorkshire, it transpired in early September that R1R had left Esholt and were now playing at a school in Bradford, and to be honest, my heart sank. I’ve been to lots of schools in Bradford to watch lots of games, but this was one I’d not been to, so, as the rules state, I had to pay them a visit.

Bradford as a City, no issues, Bradford for driving, bag of shite, simple as that. I once remarked to Steve prior to his visit to Campion that he’ll have a lovely journey, until he gets to the last three miles, and then it will be pure purgatory. He rang me when two miles away from the ground and just swore incessantly. It is that bad, especially on the West side, I hate it with a passion.


So, suitably motivated I made the journey to watch my old pals from Calverley for the third time in a month, I’ll be installed as Chairman at this rate! Anyway, it all went fine, and then once off the M606 it was it’s usual unpleasant self all the way up to the crossroads that takes you down towards Thornton. It’s a well trodden path as I’ve said, I do know it pretty well, and after initially approaching the huge campus from the wrong side I was soon in the car park and checking all was ok for the game.

It was, so I made my way back down to the main road and nipped into a pub for a pint. Certain parts of Bradford are not that easy to get a pint in, largely due to the huge Muslim populations. They don’t drink, so what’s the point of a pub? Exactly, what is the point? So you have to do your homework.

The pub I found was fine, and it kept me occupied until ten minutes before kick off, whereby I got back to the campus and found what I thought was a parking space that would see me make a quick getaway at the end.


R1R played on one of two grass pitches that are a decent walk from the car park. I have no idea who was playing on the pitch nearest the swimming pool but a decent crowd had gathered for that, for my game, it was a bit sparse on the touchline in terms of punters.

The grass was a bit on the long side, while both sides of the pitch had a ‘Respect’ tape down it. No dugouts or any furniture, just a pitch. I have no idea if refreshments could be had in the college buildings, it was too far to wander to check it out!

So, the game.

It wasn’t a bad game but the length of the grass did not help in terms of flowing football. Calverley took the lead in the first half, but R1R who had been a touch ineffective in the first period came out looking much more determined to get the points.

An equaliser came from what looked like an own goal, and then a neat turn and shot from just inside the box gave the hosts the lead, and ultimately the three points.


And then came the car park debacle, and when time and motivation permits, I will have a look to see what the game was on the other pitch that seemed to have pulled in such a crowd. But despite my annoyance and not getting home at my pre-planned time of 5.15pm, it could have been a very different story.

I was less than four miles from home, when the A38 just South of Alfreton came to a rapid stand still. I counted three fire engines, half a dozen ambulances, numerous police cars and a couple Doctors with blue lights on civilian vehicles weaving through the traffic to what was clearly a very serious incident.

After 45 minutes, we were turned round and sent back up the carriage way to the nearest junction, eventually arriving home just before 7pm.

And me, moaning about a car park, yet for someone, they may well have never got home.

There but for the grace of God go I.

No comments:

Post a Comment