Saturday 8 April 2017

The Undercard

Sheffield Bankers  1  Davy  1

Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior League - First Division

It was a slightly strange experience watching football today.

I picked this game out a couple of weeks ago, on the basis that the Bankers have moved this season from their former home at Hillsborough College, to the somewhat more aesthetic surroundings of Hillsborough Park, less than quarter of a mile away as the crow flies.

However, I had some nagging doubts about it happening though, for reasons that ultimately turned out to be unfounded. Firstly, because the Bankers have from time to time this season reverted back to the College for seemingly unknown reasons, and secondly because Sheffield Wednesday were playing Newcastle United at 5.30pm and I wasn't sure how much of an impact that would have, notably on the logistics such as parking.

We're All Wednesday Aren't We?
Parking wasn't an issue, or at least it shouldn't have been. I ended up driving up Hawkesley Road to the car park, to find it was only accessible from one direction due to some bollards, the opposite way to which I was travelling it appeared. So that meant a detour up past Wednesday's ground and right round the edges of the park. It was 2pm, and still three and a half hours before kick off, but the crowds were milling about. I made my way down Middlewood Road to the Hillsborough Tap, and the pubs all around the area were filling up nicely on a beautiful day. The Police too were out in force, the away following was expected to be large. The pub signs all said 'Home Fans Only', but they let me in, a rogue Ram!

Fifteen minutes before the undercard event took place at the Hillsborough Park Arena, I made my way back and wandered through the main entrance of the building that sits above the football pitch. I have to say I was both surprised and impressed with what I found. A smart interior, a cracking bar area and a catering area. I really wasn't expecting that, to be honest I was expecting a municipal style changing facility at best, but how wrong can you be. Sky TV was also dragging them in, but I did wonder if all of the facilities would be available on a Wednesday away day?

Doing A Roaring Trade
It was full of Wednesday fans as you would expect, and many had gathered on the terrace outside to watch the Bankers game, although to be honest they were only half paying attention to it, much of the time it was just chatter about the Owls chances of making the play offs.

Neither side is doing particularly well in the league, Davy will finish in a relegation place, Bankers will be fine. But to be fair, it was a pretty even first half with the home side scoring first before Davy equalised with a penalty that was neatly dispatched in front of the Wednesday-ites.

For the second half I made my way from behind the goal onto the grass bank that rose up towards the end of the side nearest the park entrance. I wasn't alone on here, more and more Wednesday fans were starting to turn up to watch, I would have said 100 or so clad in blue and white were by now downing pints either on the terrace or on the bank. This was the strange bit, for me this was the main event, for them this was the meaningless warm up. As the second half wore on, more and more fans could be seen streaming through the park to Hillsborough, the atmosphere was building and the mood excitable.

View From The Terrace
No more goals came in the second period, although it was the Bankers who had the better chances. The hosts will probably feel they should have won it.

I had to weave my way through the crowds as I drove carefully down Middlewood Road and out onto Penistone Road, it was 45 minutes until kick off, you could sense the anticipation all around. Yet, I was driving away, and it felt a bit wrong in a strange kind of way, like I was missing out on something. I care little for either Wednesday or the Geordies, but having spent the afternoon witnessing the atmosphere and the build up, it didn't feel quite right not being at the game.

Wednesday won 2-1, not that it really matters to me in the grand scheme of things, I found the little gem that is the Hillsborough Park Arena!

A Quiet Place In Bustling Hillsborough

No comments:

Post a Comment