Wednesday 5 April 2017

Uncharted Territory

Springhead  1  Dukinfield Town  1

Manchester Football League - Premier Division

At the start of every season I make a list of clubs to visit, in fact I make several lists, starting with 'must do', to the 'almost certainly will do', onto the 'will definitely try to' before the final list which is 'might get round to if nothing else comes and gets in the way'

The Manchester League usually starts somewhere between the second and third category, before actually in reality falling almost exclusively into the final bracket, and ultimately the sum total of clubs visited varies between zero and zero!

This has been going on now for over ten years, and in the meantime other leagues have been and gone (ticked off if you like) while the Manc League has remained uncharted territory. So what is it that keeps stopping me from making the leap of faith?

Why Would You Not?
Geography is a starting point, because living in Belper, and while Manchester is not a ridiculous distance away, it is to be brutal, a ballache of a journey, whichever way you go, and there are plenty of alternatives. I typically go to Buxton and then choose the remainder depending on the mood, I might go Stockport, I might go Glossop, I might go Wilmslow, but trust me, there will be jams, tractors, diversions, lorries, cyclists, sheep, and of course bad weather.

It's cold and it rains in Manchester, which I can live with, but the route to and from can often result in snow and that in turn leads to closures. This isn't exclusive to the harshest of Winter months I might add, it can be snowy 'on the tops' even if it's bright sunshine down at relative sea level!

Then you've got the M60, which is God's way of redressing the balance in terms of us laughing on a continual basis at those Southern types on the M25. He succeeded, it's a shit of a road, and you really cannot plan a journey effectively when you're gambling on what unforeseen chaotic incident might be about to side swipe you from out of left field.

Do you see now why I have avoided it? Nothing personal like, I'm sure Elton Vale, Hindsford and Dukinfield are great places and great clubs, while the people involved with Manchester Gregorians, Royton Town and East Manchester are I'm quite sure truly wonderful people. Very simply, I cannot, or could not, be arsed with it!

Not Arsed - Really? It's a Bar....
However, I made a vow that when we got to silly season (when the clocks changed and the early kick off's start), I would make every effort to get to some games. I've got three planned in before now and the end of the season, and to ease myself in gently, I chose Springhead, a club only 35 miles from Sheffield, only an hour away timing wise, and a club that from a location point of view is almost in West Yorkshire (the village was once part of West Riding).

It all seemed fine journey wise, until I got to Holmfirth, and then it went wrong, about 45 minutes wrong as I moved something in the region of 250 yards in all that time! Luckily once out the other side of the town, I was quickly high up 'on the tops' before eventually dropping down into Springhead and into the car park at the St Johns Street ground.

It was one of the longest 35 miles I'd driven in quite some time, but scenic all the same. And while you've barely left Yorkshire as you enter Springhead, a huge sign saying 'Welcome to Lancashire' makes it quite clear which rose county you are in.

The ground at Springhead is a railed affair on three sides, has a lengthways slope from top to bottom (could a slope go any other way?), and the clubhouse and dressing room complex sits on the corner flag of the road side. The clubhouse was a very nice affair, and very welcoming too, and on a pleasant evening it wasn't the worst view you'll see as you look South towards Mossley and Stalybridge.

The game was tight, 1-0 at half time, the goal arriving just before the interval when a cross-cum-shot found the back of the net to give the hosts the lead. It started to drop cold, not snowing to be fair, but cold all the same, and with five minutes to go I decided to watch the rest of the game from the warmth of my car which was parked behind the goal. It's a new car, and I got distracted while trying to programme the sat nav for the journey home, I looked up to see Sprinhead kicking off, and then seconds later the full time whistle blew. Turns out Dukinfield had equalised with the last kick of the game, and I'd not seen it.......

Moral of the story? Don't get in the car until the whistle has blown....or, just accept the fact that me and the Manchester League are destined never to make true friends.

No, I liked Springhead, it was friendly, it was a pleasant setting and it had a real traditional feel about it. Like any relationship you have to work at it at, and sometimes it isn't love at first sight. I feel another date is going to be essential.

Remember though, it's Red Roses in this part of the Country.......but then again I don't do flowers, Mrs Hatt will confirm that!

Manchester - So Much To Answer For

No comments:

Post a Comment